School uniform is compulsory. We feel that the recommendations indicate an outfit which is smart and appropriate for everyday wear, and encourages the students to identify with Astley Community High
School by wearing its colours.
The list of essential items of school uniform has been kept as short as possible so that no undue strain should be put on any family’s finances. If the uniform is used only for school, and students change out of it during out-of-school hours, it will help to keep the uniform neat and tidy and reduce the need for replacement items.
- Royal blue sweater
- Black trousers, standard length(not jeans or cords)
- White shirt and school tie (not polo shirt)
- Black shoes (not trainers)
- Royal blue sweater
- Black skirt (standard length - no mini-skirts) or black trousers (straight legged and not hipsters, no jeans or in a jean style or leggings)
- White blouse or shirt and school tie (not polo shirt and not fitted shirt)
- Black Shoes (not trainers)
- No fashion belts
Black shoes should be plain and formal. The following will not be accepted:
- designer trainers with velcro fastening
- canvas plimsolls
- UGG-style boots
- platform shoes
It is strongly recommended that all clothing should be clearly named.
The use of make-up and nail varnish is not to be encouraged but when used discreetly, it will be acceptable. However, fake eyelashes or nails are not allowed.
Non-regulation jumpers/tops, if worn as coats, should be removed before entering the school building and put back on when leaving at the end of the school day. In particular, black cardigans are not allowed.
Our uniform supplier is Emblematic, and uniform & PE kit orders can be placed using the following methods:
- online via the Astley Community High School webpage on Emblematic’s website, which includes the option to have your child’s name embroidered onto school jumpers and PE polo shirts; orders will be delivered to your home (a charge for postage will be made)
- in person at Emblematic’s Longbenton shop at Unit 26, North Tyne Industrial Estate, Whitley Road, Benton NE12 9SZ (near Asda); pupil names cannot be embroidered if you buy in person
Please note that uniform and PE kit orders cannot be placed at the school, although a small stock of ties for is available for purchase from the school finance office priced at £4.00 each.
The following guidelines apply. Please ensure that your son/daughter conforms with our expectations - if in any doubt, please telephone the school before you agree to a proposed change of hairstyle. We will accept:
- short hair which is neat and tidy - number 2 cut or above on top
- subdued, modified hair colouring which moderately changes the colour of hair shade
- highlights used moderately to enhance the natural hair colour and tone
- ethnic/cultural variations by agreement with a parent/carer
We will not accept:
- hair cut extremely short and close to the scalp - number 1 cut or below
- coloured or natural hair extensions
- tight plaited hairstyles or plaited hairstyles using differently coloured plaits or adorned with coloured beads or other ornamentation
- bleached or dyed hair that is extreme in colouring e.g red or purple
- extreme highlights which completely change the colour and tone of the hair
- extremes such as spiky, ‘mohican’ or punk style - either natural or coloured
Piercing, tattoos and jewellery
- maximum of one small stud earring in each ear
- no student will be allowed to attend with rings or studs in the nose, lips, tongue, eyebrows etc.
- no visible tattoos
Students are permitted to wear wrist watches, one ring and one necklace; all other jewellery (including bracelets) is forbidden
All jewellery must be removed for PE. This is a requirement of Sports Associations and Local Authority regulations.
To help us maintain our high standards, in the event of a student breaching uniform, hairstyle or jewellery guidelines, parents/carers will be contacted and the Inclusion Room may be used until the situation is resolved.