Ofsted is the inspectorate for children and learners in England. You can view our latest inspection report by clicking here.
Students and staff celebrated a very positive 2016 report which judged the overall effectiveness of the school as ‘Good’.
The school also achieved a ‘Good’ rating across all five of the separate Ofsted judgments: quality of teaching, outcomes for pupils, 16 to 19 study programmes, behaviour and safety of pupils and leadership and management.
You can read more about the 2016 inspection in our Ofsted Special Edition Newsletter.
Key quotes from the report included:
- “Leaders and managers have transformed the quality of educational provision at the school. Resolute and determined, they have maintained a relentless focus on improving standards and tackling weakness.”
- “Pupils’ achievement is good. In the 2015 GCSE examinations, almost every group of pupils made good progress from their starting points in both English and mathematics.”
- “Improving the quality of teaching has been at the heart of the school’s work. Teaching is now consistently good and some is inspirational.”
- “Pupils enjoy learning. They value and appreciate the care taken by teachers to help them with their studies. Written work is carefully assessed and pupils respond thoughtfully to the guidance.”
- “Behaviour in lessons and around the school is good. Pupils are considerate and courteous. They value learning and take pride in their work.”
- “Pupils are well prepared for life in modern Britain and their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is strong.”
- “Relationships between all members of the community are characterised by care, tolerance and respect.”
- “Learners in the sixth form thrive. They make good progress in lessons and are very well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
Ofsted also identified some areas for improvement which will help us to focus our ongoing drive to ensure every learner succeeds and inform our school development plan.
If you have any questions regarding the report please do not hesitate to contact Mr G Scott, Head of School on 0191 2371505.
Parents and carers can give their views of our school at any time of the school year and at the time of a school inspection using an online questionnaire called Parent View.
When our school is notified of its next Ofsted inspection, parents will be invited to give their views about the school to inspectors using the Parent View online facility.
Please register with an email address and a password at https://parentview.ofsted.gov.uk. Once your login has been activated, it only takes a few minutes to complete answers to 12 short questions about aspects such as bullying, the quality of teaching, level of homework, etc.
Your views are important in helping inspectors make a decision about our school, and to help us know what is going well and what could be improved.
If you do not have a computer or an email address or if you would like help to use Parent View, please come into school and ask at reception.